Conjuring up the perfect Christmas spirit is hard work for those working at Dresden's Striezelmarkt Christmas market. Then there are all the concerns about security.
Fairy tale houses, bakeries, handicrafts, mulled wine and the Dresden fruitcake now known as Stollen, once called Striezel, from which the market gets its name - with more than 230 booths, it's easy to get into the Yuletide spirit. And that's what visitors do, despite tightened security since the terrorist attack in Berlin two years ago. Concrete bollards, barriers and large water containers are meant to provide security. There are more police patrolling the streets than in the past. It's a new normality, and many people still have to get used to it. A Report by Thomas Gill.
DW Documentary gives you knowledge beyond the headlines. Watch high-class documentaries from German broadcasters and international production companies. Meet intriguing people, travel to distant lands, get a look behind the complexities of daily life and build a deeper understanding of current affairs and global events. Subscribe and explore the world around you with DW Documentary.
Subscribe to DW Documentary:
For more documentaries visit:
DW netiquette policy: http://www.dw.com/en/dws-netiquette-policy/a-5300954
German Christmas Market - Oconomowoc, WI | The German ...
The Christmas Market is truly a can’t miss outing this holiday season—a shopping and entertainment venue that rivals even those found in Europe. No holiday season is complete without a day (or two) out at the annual German Christmas Market.
Germany's 10 best Christmas markets - Telegraph
Germany's 10 best Christmas markets. Sizzling sausages, Glühwein (mulled wine) and gingerbread: it will soon be Christmas-market time again. Across Britain, dozens of German-themed markets open in late November, ready to kick-start the holiday season. But just as the British pub cannot be reproduced abroad, so the British version...
German Christmas Markets - 2018 Christmas Market Dates ...
The magic of traditional German Christmas Markets is casting more visitors under its spell every year. Historic Christmas Markets, held in cities, towns and villages throughout the country, are becoming increasingly more popular, due, no doubt, to the enchanting Festive Season atmosphere they evoke.
Guide to German Christmas Markets 2017 - Facts & tips for ...
Get into Christmas mood - discover magic places in Germany. Christmas markets are known as Weihnachtsmarkt, Christkindlesmarkt, Christkindchesmarkt and Christkindlmarkt. They usually open on the Friday before the first Advent and close one or two days before Christmas Eve . The oldest markets date back to the 14th and 15th century.
13 Best German Christmas Markets - Condé Nast Traveler
Dresden Striezelmarkt. Why we love it: Founded as a one-day market in 1434, the Dresden Striezelmarkt is Germany's oldest. The annual focal points here are typically the 45-foot high Christmas pyramid and the stollen, buttery fruitcake dusted with powdered sugar and packaged with a special seal depicting the city's famous former king, August the Strong.
The Best German Christmas Markets | Travel + Leisure
The best German Christmas markets are easy to spot: hectic, open-air festivals in charming downtowns, where vendors sell everything from food to wares.
- A German Christmas market in Dresden | DW Documentary
- Tastiest treats at German Christmas markets | DW English
- Europe’s OLDEST Christmas Market | Dresden Christmas Market in Germany
- Dresden - Traditional Christmas Market | Discover Germany
- Dresden Christmas Markets
- Germany's BEST Christmas Market? | The Medieval German Christmas Market Of Lights In Dortmund
- GERMAN FOOD PORN: Christmas Markets
- Dresden opens its famous Christmas market
- Exploring Germany: Medieval Christmas Market Ronneburg
- Christmas time in Germany
- Berchtesgaden - Three Travel Tips | Discover Germany
- Christmas Specialties (1) Lebkuchen from Germany | euromaxx
- 4K Christmas Market in Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany - December 2018
- Rick Steves' European Christmas: Germany
- here's what a german christmas market looks like
- Traditional Christmas Food in Germany | euromaxx
- 10 traditional ingredients for a very German Christmas | Meet the Germans
- Germany's Christmas Markets
- TOO MANY CHRISTMAS MARKETS & WHERE I'VE BEEN | Berlin, Germany
- Famous Dresden Christmas market opens for business